Website City of Mississauga
Req ID: 11902
Vacancy Type: Temporary
Number of Positions: 65
Closing Date: 05/31/2021
If you love the outdoors here's your chance !
Enhancing the City of Mississauga’s outdoor spaces through ongoing maintenance of parklands and amenities, sports fields, and horticulture displays, this position requires responsible operation of vehicles and attachments, small equipment, hand tools; and providing leadership guidance to parks seasonal positions.
Learn more from Sarah on what it is like to be a Parks Labourer at the City!
*Employment period is from March 29, 2021 up to October 15, 2021 based on a 40 hour work week, and includes evenings, weekends, holidays and shift work.
Employees can be assigned to any location within Mississauga or re-deployed to various locations, shifts depending on the business operations needs.
Please note: Due to the uncertainty we are facing during the COVID-19 pandemic, the recruitment of these positions is dependent on available vacancies and business operation needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Parks Supervisor, successful candidates will be required to:
• Perform ongoing maintenance to City owned parkland and amenities (turf and sports fields, parks, cemeteries and facilities)
- Mowing, trimming, aeration, fertilization
- Maintaining horticulture installations and displays – planting, weeding
- Litter pick up and scheduled garbage/recycling collection and disposal
- Cemetery maintenance including internments
• Operate a variety of city vehicles and attachments (assignment of vehicles will be based on operational need and license requirements being met)
• Provide functional guidance to parks seasonal staff (Ops II) as required
• Assist with inspection, cleaning and repair of park amenities
• Safely operate a variety of equipment, machinery, and power / hand-held tools
• Clean and maintain vehicles and equipment and identify hazards and/or mechanical issues requiring service repair
• Deliver routine and specialized maintenance
• Complete and submit daily, accurate electronic work entries and daily tailboards
• Attend various training sessions throughout the season
• Provide logistical support for community events including deliveries, set up and take down
• Performs winter maintenance functions as required: evening snow patrol (plowing, shovelling and salt application) of Parks, Arenas and Community Centres throughout the City of Mississauga
• Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
To be considered for this position, you must:
• Possess a Ontario Driver’s License, Class G2 or higher, with a driving record that is acceptable to the City
• Hold a valid Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C certification
• Be able to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
• Have good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a team environment
• Be able to deal with the public in a courteous manner
Skills/Qualifications that are considered an asset:
• Previous experience or formal education in landscaping or horticulture
• Demonstrated leadership skills and willingness to provide functional guidance to others
• Previous experience dealing with customers
• Understanding of applicable Health and Safety regulations and Occupational Health and Safety Act
Successful applicants will be expected to meet the following working conditions:
• Be available to work full-time (40 hours per week), including nights, evenings, weekends and holidays during the employment period March 29, 2021 to October 15, 2021
• Must report to work in all weather conditions (outdoor work environment)
• Flexible to work in a variety of locations, employees may be relocated to another location at any time throughout the work-term based on operational needs
• Green Patch CSA approved safety boots, 6”-8” to cover ankle and must be made of full suede or leather material must be worn in accordance with the City’s health and safety policies and training
• Physical Demands: Moderate lifting of equipment and objects up to 55 lbs; exposure to vibration, unpleasant smells, fumes, dust, and flying particles; exposure to grass, weeds, trees and other outdoor allergens, animal feces and various insects; requires bending, climbing, walking, pushing, sitting, standing and repetitive motion
Please note: All successful candidates will be required to submit 2 references to the City of Mississauga for obtaining employment reference information as a part of the recruitment process. You will be required to complete the form below and upload it as an “Additional Document” if you are successful in the recruitment process.
Consent to Contact References
1. Click this link and complete the Consent to Contact References
2. Save the document as Your Name_Consent to Contact References
Employment offer is conditional upon providing a Level 2- Criminal and Judicial Matters Check, at your own expense, that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
Hourly Rate/Salary: $22.26 – $24.85
Hours of Work: upto 40
Work Location: Various Locations
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , Parks, Forestry & Environment Division , Parks Operations
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.